Impromptu Speaking : Online
In this section I document the process my public speaking students carryout in order to complete the Impromptu speaking assignment. The following links can be used to move between the sections of this example assignment.
- Assignment Description
- Directions to Complete Speech Online
- Example Student Speech
- Example Graded Speech With Feedback
This speech is designed to give you experience speaking on short notice. The vast majority of speaking engagements in your life will be impromptu, so practicing is a good idea! You may be asked to speak on a topic of common knowledge, perform an “everyday speech” as described in your textbook, or take a position on a key issue. You will pick a topic out of a basket and have three minutes to prepare for a three minute speech.
- This speech requires effort even though it is an impromptu. You should plan out your preparation time in advance knowing that you have a brief window to prepare
- This speech is impromptu, but it still has structure. You will be expected to develop a clear organizational structure with two main points, an intro, and a conclusion.
Speech Evaluation Criteria
For this speech, we will be using the grading rubric for the impromptu speech. Speeches will be evaluated according to the following categories. Please see the rubric for specific grading criteria in each category.
Organization 20 points
- Introduction impact
- Main points
- Conclusion impact
- Transition markers
Content 10 points
- Argumentative structure
- Topic engagement
Delivery 20 points
- Eye contact with camera
- Vocal variety
What you will need:
- A computer with a webcam (or a friend with one)
- A YouTube account (you had to get one for the informative speech lecture)
- A list of impromptu quotations from me.
- 6 minutes
What you will do:
1. Access the “Impromptu Quotations Assessment” on Blackboard Vista to receive your timed list of quotations.
2. Navigate to YouTube.com and signin to your account.
- click “Upload”
- click “Record from webcam”
- start recording
3. While it records prep for 3 minutes
4. When the timer hits 3:00 you should start speaking.
5. When you are done speaking stop the recording and follow the prompts.
6. You should save the video as an “unlisted video”
7. Click Save
8. Copy the unlisted link from that page and paste it into the appropriate box on Blackboard Vista.
If you have trouble with this method you can watch this short video I have made demonstrating the process.
Graded Online Impromptu Speech (Download PDF)